Posts Tagged "1910"

Sherrard Street

Sherrard Street

A view along Thorpe End with The Carnegie Library (now the town’s museum) in the centre. McDonalds now occupies the cottage gardens on the right. The houses on the left stand just before the entrance to Enoch Evans Pork Pie Factory; built in 1860, closed in 1953 and demolished in 1963. It’s now part of the Morrison’s Supermarket site. Approx date: 1910. Image ref:...

read more

Sherrard Street c.1910

Sherrard Street c.1910

A carnival procession winds its way along Sherrard Street from the town centre, with one of the town’s public urinals on the right, and The Marquis of Granby pub on the left. The first float is possibly a Stilton cheese-maker, the second belongs to Rowell and Son, boot-makers to the gentry, and later to the Duke of Windsor. Approx date: 1910. Image ref:...

read more

Sherrard Street c.1910

Sherrard Street c.1910

The south-side of Sherrard Street, with the town’s urinal on the far right, and the Granby pub opposite. Sometimes called ‘The Marquis of Granby, it was named after the third Duke of Rutland’s eldest son; a distinguished officer who earned the respect of his soldiers by finding them employment when their service ended. Approx date: 1910. Image ref:...

read more

Sherrard Street c.1910

Sherrard Street c.1910

A view along Sherrard Street, away from the town centre. The sign above the Black Swan Inn on the right can still be seen today. The white-faced building on the left is The Old Bishops Blaize, parts of which dated to the 14th century. It was demolished in 1964, making way for new premises built for Bowleys Jewellers and Opticians when they moved from the Barnes Block in the Market Place. Approx...

read more

Sherrard Street c.1910

Sherrard Street c.1910

A view along Sherrard Street with the Post Office on the right. The next-door premises of Sharman and Ladbury had expanded their agricultural engineering business by knocking down down The Wheatsheaf Inn in 1887. At the time of the photograph this building was a garage. It later became a Ford showroom. Approx date: 1910. Image ref:...

read more