Posts by admin

Sherrard Street c.1935

Sherrard Street c.1935

Looking along Sherrard Street, away from the town centre, the Primitive Methodist Church is on the left, up a steep flight of steps with a large schoolroom underneath. Known locally as the Prims Chapel, it was demolished in 1975, to be replaced by Melton’s first supermarket; ‘Sally Morlands’. Approx date: 1935. Image ref:...

read more

Sherrard Street c.1895

Sherrard Street c.1895

The building in the background with the impressive entrance and flag pole was ‘The Elms’. Built in the 1790s, it was one of Melton’s grandest private houses, with splendid and extensive gardens. The land and buildings were gradually sold. Elms Road and Oak Road were built on the grounds, and the telephone exchange on the site of the house, with shops on the Sherrard Street...

read more

Sherrard Street c.1910

Sherrard Street c.1910

A view along Sherrard Street, away from the town centre. The sign above the Black Swan Inn on the right can still be seen today. The white-faced building on the left is The Old Bishops Blaize, parts of which dated to the 14th century. It was demolished in 1964, making way for new premises built for Bowleys Jewellers and Opticians when they moved from the Barnes Block in the Market Place. Approx...

read more

Sherrard Street c.1910

Sherrard Street c.1910

A view along Sherrard Street with the Post Office on the right. The next-door premises of Sharman and Ladbury had expanded their agricultural engineering business by knocking down down The Wheatsheaf Inn in 1887. At the time of the photograph this building was a garage. It later became a Ford showroom. Approx date: 1910. Image ref:...

read more

Sherrard Street c.1925

Sherrard Street c.1925

Market Day on Sherrard Street, looking away from the town centre. The building on the left was demolished in the 1930s, when Windsor Street was created. The red-brick building in the centre of the photograph was the offices of Barkers; Solicitors and Clerks to the Urban District Council from its inception in 1894 to its demise in 1974. Approx date: 1925. Image ref:...

read more